Each year around the world, International Women's Day (IWD) is celebrated on March 8. Hundreds of events occur not just on this day but throughout March to mark the economic, political and social achievements of women.
Some years have seen global IWD themes honoured around the world, while in other years groups have preferred to 'localise' their own themes to make them more specific and relevant.
This year's United Nations theme is Equal access to education, training and science and technology: Pathway to decent work for women
- Australia, UNIFEM: Unite to End Violence Against Women
- Australia, Queensland Government Office for Women: Our Women, Our State
- Australia, WA Department for Communities: Sharing the Caring for the Future
Sites to check / teaching activities
- Gender Equality - Global Education resources
- a teaching activity examining gender equality in 3 to 5 contrasting countries
- teaching activity: Improving the lives of women in the Solomon Islands
- a teaching activity: Women in Fisheries
- a case study: Women and Fisheries: Opening access in the Marshall Islands