Google is celebrating the 100th anniversary of IWD with this new logo
Their link takes you toWe invite you to join tens of thousands of people coming together on bridges all over the world -- from the Millennium Bridge in London, the Brooklyn Bridge in New York City, the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, to the Grand Barriere Bridge joining Rwanda and Congo -- to show your support for women's causes and celebrate women's achievements. Each year around the world, International Women's Day (IWD) is celebrated on March 8. Hundreds of events occur not just on this day but throughout March to mark the economic, political and social achievements of women.
Some years have seen global IWD themes honoured around the world, while in other years groups have preferred to 'localise' their own themes to make them more specific and relevant.
This year's United Nations theme is Equal access to education, training and science and technology: Pathway to decent work for women
- Australia, UNIFEM: Unite to End Violence Against Women
- Australia, Queensland Government Office for Women: Our Women, Our State
- Australia, WA Department for Communities: Sharing the Caring for the Future
Sites to check / teaching activities
- Gender Equality - Global Education resources
- a teaching activity examining gender equality in 3 to 5 contrasting countries
- teaching activity: Improving the lives of women in the Solomon Islands
- a teaching activity: Women in Fisheries
- a case study: Women and Fisheries: Opening access in the Marshall Islands